Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Distance Between Two Points

Good news and bad news coming down the pipeline this week. Most of it involves my dad and the pressure on him to travel everywhere in a week.

For those who don't know, My parents have been divorced for a few years now. It should be around four this month. My mother and him were living separately for a while before that. The whole thing put a scar on me that I still feel once in a while. I remember once incident in particular when I was thirteen or fourteen, during my religious education class. My parents were going to have their divorce hearing that day, and I was bummed out to say the least. Before I know it, I'm sitting in the bathroom in tears over the whole thing, at a point where everything was too much to handle. The hearing was moved, so I was relieved for a little. Even if the divorce did happen eventually, I at least got to see my dad on a weekly basis. I feel sorry for kids in my position who see their parents less often, or never get to see them again after walking out that door for the last time. Those kids need the support as well, whether from their family or friends.

With these prices going up the way they are, I have a feeling the distance between my father and I might get wider. He lives only a half-hour away, but I don't know how long he intends to stay there. He has talked about moving somewhere less expensive than Jersey, and with his job the way it is, he might move closer to North Carolina. Topped with the prices getting out of hand, our time together might only get shorter than it already is. Talking to him by phone is better than not talking at all, but I would like to see him in person. I'm a lot more comfortable talking to him directly than over a phone, and i don't want that to change.

I suppose the only good news to come out of all this is also for my dad. Since fuel is so damn expensive, my dad's boss has decided to have him fly down south for business instead of driving down like he normally does. I guess he figured driving all that way wasn't really a good idea with fuel the way it is. I am glad at least one thing is working out for my dad.

The same doesn't look to apply to me though. A few of my family members are considering moving in the near future, some to places farther away from my house than they currently are. If they decide to do so, the distance between me and everyone other than me will just increase. Not being able to see my family as often is something I would rather live without.

No comments: