Sunday, May 13, 2007

Distance Between Many Points

Continuing from my last post, the situation with my dad isn't as bad as thought. He told me he actually flew down south more than he drove, so there wasn't much of a change needed anyway. Even with that out of the way, I still can't stop feeling helpless and useless in this time. Sure, I'm recycling more than I was, and I'm mowing my lawn with a push mower now--the physical stuff is good for my body anyways. This uselessness I'm feeling is a more emotional one than anything.

Even though I might be doing something locally to conserve gas, is what I'm doing actually any good? I mean, just because I'm doing something small doesn't mean everyone else will. The gallon of gas I willingly cut back on may just be used by someone else who hasn't cut back at all. Despite all the good the Netizens have tried to do, with all the sacrifices they have made, there are still those who act like nothing is happening, and just ignore everything around them in an act of selfishness.

Think about it; right now, nearly 20 million people in New York have to live in constant fear and loathing for the eventual day they cannot get the fuel they need. Some are already living in that nightmare already, while the nightmare is just around the corner for others. Meanwhile, here I am, making a post on the Internet, where less than one-hundredth of a percent of NYC's population is reading it. Is it alright if I feel that my actions are somewhat in vain?

Furthermore, what have I done to establish myself as reliable to you other Heroes? I could just be lying out my ass for all you know. I guess the only thing I can hope for is that you trust me enough to help out in this crisis. Still, trust might not be enough when you have to constantly look over your shoulder for signs of robbery and theft. If what I've heard is true, then things are just going to get worse from here on out.

Then there's the thing with my family. We already have to drive to see each other, and now I can barely see them at all. I'm forced to talk over the phone, when I want to see them in person. I'm not comfortable with a cell phone as it is, just complicating things even more.What if something happens to them, and I need to see them as soon as possible? Will our lack of oil and foresight stop me from seeing my family again? Just another worry I guess, just another addition to my fears of losing those closest to me and having to move on without them.

I apologize, but I needed to get that off my chest. I can't think of anything intelligent to say this week. Just keep those you love close to you, and never forget that they are what is important. I feel that the world will soon fall into chaos around us, and there will be casualties. No riot has gone without at least one. Direct others to this site, so they may help in the crisis of oil management. The more we have to help, the more positive our efforts will be. Keep in mind those suffering from a weakening economy, those who live in large areas where gas is already at a premium. Once the nightmare strikes the world, they will be the first to know.

No comments: