Friday, May 4, 2007

Catching Up and Staying In

Sorry for not reporting in last week folks. Too much to do and so little time. That, and my wireless shorted out on me.

So, two questions from the eight this week: What have I changed about my life, and what can't I do anymore?

1. I haven't seen much of a shock over here in Jersey just yet, but I'm sure we will get something soon. When New York City feels it, so will we. Prices have gone up a little, but we stocked up on staples before any of this business came about. Refills might not be as much of an option, so we are trying to use everything that can expire, and freezing all the leftovers for later. Edible scraps go to the pets, but we still need a way to use the rest of the food. Perhaps compost is the way to go.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to be a little more conscious about recycling my daily newspapers and soda cans. The way I see it, less trash means less in landfills, which means less that will have to be incinerated later on. I'm practicing good habits and reducing the impact of pollution by a little bit. I really ought to encourage my family to be a little more conscious as well. We don't even have a regular recycling can at home, so I have to stick a label on a regular can! Point is, I'm not going to be able to help the environment by myself. I believe recycling has untapped potential that could be of a lot of use in the coming weeks...but that is another story.


2. The real problem with the oil prices and my time comes from not being able to travel as much as we did. My family and I usually eat at home now or order out, but even delivery is becoming more expensive with each week. If we want to see our relatives, we have to relegate our trips to once a month now due to their distance from home and the route we take to get there (the New Jersey Turnpike).

Despite all of this, my dad still comes to see us every week despite the driving back and forth. He is a real trooper, but it can't be good for his wallet to constantly drive like that. He has a decent job ,but he shouldn't have to drive a half-hour for our sakes. He's usually pretty laid back if faced with a problem, but I feel like I should offer him some cash so he doesn't have to pay for it all by himself. Part of me feels like I would be giving back for all that he has done for me and all he has sacrificed, but I'm still unsure. What do you folks think I ought to do about it?

No comments: